Prowess Coaching is a provider of coach education workshops affiliated with the BMC. These include the FUNdamentals 1, 2 and 3, Physical Training 1 and Coaching Children.
The BMC FUNdamentals workshops covers the WHAT TO TEACH in climbing movement skills, plus some additional relevant information. Where existing instructional courses (CWI, RCI, MCI etc) focus on keeping people safe in various environments, the FUNdamentals are more focused on how people move on the wall.
What’s Covered on FUNdamentals 1
FUNdamentals 1 start at the beginning: looking at basic climbing movement. This includes:
- warm ups. Why warm ups are important and the ingrediants for the ideal warm up
- weight transfer. One of the most fundamental climbing movements, we investigate the importance of effective weight transfer and how to teach our students how to transfer their weight as well as possible
- footwork. A massive area that many climbers like to focus, we’ll dig into exactly what ‘good footwork’ actually means
- handholds. More than simply naming holds – although we do check for a good understanding of common language – we’ll look at exactly what our students need to know when grabbing onto the wall with their hands
- some basics of injury prevention, specifics of coaching certain societal groups and look at two academic models for participation (the LTAD and YPD Models)
Each workshop is a one-day event and is a mix of classroom based and practical learning (as practical as possible) so bring your rock shoes and get ready to get on the wall! However don’t expect us to be trying super hard. The focus is on coaching and there is no minimum grade requirement. In the event of injury – or even if you choose not to climb – there is no requirement to climb at all, although we generally find most people are psyched to get on the wall.
After the course, you’ll be provided with a link to the FUNdamentals 1 Resource page. Here, you’ll be able to download the course slides, Course Notes and much more, as well as having a heap of further reading links.
These workshops are stacked with useful information to help you with your clients (or even your own climbing) all delivered in a super relaxed, super chilled out environment.
More information is available on the BMC website
- BMC member: £90
- Non-BMC member: £110
Private Courses are also available for centres, businesses, groups and more. For more information, please click here.
Payment is required in advance to secure places on both public and private courses.
Please note, while every effort is made to keep this updated, dates may change. Please click here 100% accurate dates. Click the link on the date to go straight to a booking page
2024 public course dates
- FUNdamentals 1: Monday 25th March, Redpoint Worcester
- FUNdamentals 1: Tuesday 21st May, Beacon Climbing Centre, Caernarfon
- FUNdamentals 1: Thursday 12th September, Beacon Climbing Centre, Caernarfon
Please note: FUNdamentals 1 and 2 are typically run back to back. For details of subsequent courses, including Physical Training 1 and Coaching Children, please click here
Circumstances change, things come up and occasionally people can’t make it. It’s understandable. If this happens to you, the sooner you can let me know, the better as I can hopefully fill the space with someone else. If you let me know two weeks before the session/course/workshop then I will issue a full refund. If you let me know between two weeks and one week before the session/course/workshop I will issue a 50% refund. If you let me know less than one week before the session/course/workshop then no refund will be issued. Remember you need to pay to secure your place on the course or your place may be allocated to someone else. If the course is cancelled by Prowess, a full refund will be issued.
If you’d like more information, there is an information sheet that you can download below, the link to the BMC website is here, or feel free to get in touch by clicking here or filling in the form below.